It’s that time of year again - bring on the warm apple cider. Our recipe features local apples and an array of organic spices. It’s the perfect holiday party drink and way to battle the cold this season.
- 7 apples, roughly chopped
- 3 whole cinnamon sticks
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tbsp whole cloves
- 1/3 tbsp allspice
- 1 whole star anise
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- water to cover
- Place roughly chopped apples + spices in large crock pot or dutch oven
- Pour water over ingredients until all apples are floating
- Boil ingredients in uncovered pot for 35 minutes
- Reduce heat, cover pot, and simmer for 4-6 hours
- Mash apples throughout simmering process with potato masher or pastry blender to release flavor
- Strain cider over a colander
- Dilute with water until desired consistency is reached
Yields enough cider concentrate to make 5-6 cups.
Need an extra push to make cider this weekend? Check out our infographic to learn about all of the nutrients + vitamins that are found in apples.